Sunday, February 22, 2009

A weekend dedicated to German cars...


I'd be lying if I claimed to be a "car guy."  In truth, I view most cars as transportation.  However, I admit to a special fascination with German cars.  Why?  I think it's because they are frequently the best combination of function and form.

This weekend proved particularly interesting from that perspective.  

Last night, I had the great fortune of having dinner with Grant Larson.  Grant is a Lead Designer at Porsche (notably, a key driver of the original Boxster in 1993 and the new Panamera).  His graciousness and willingness to spend an evening sharing thoughts about cars was fascinating.

Today, I visited the Mercedes-Benz Museum.  It's definitely worth a visit if one is passing through Stuttgart.

Of course, I became a much bigger fan of Mercedes-Benz when I learned they made a significant number of bicycles in the 1920s.

Wilhelm had it right.  Cars (at least those driven by the Otto-Cycle) will prove transitory... Just wait and see.  However, I have a sneaking suspicion that the Engineers at Porsche and M-B will have the ability to adapt.

No comments: