Monday, February 2, 2009

Cyclocross World Championships...


More pictures can be seen here:  
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jcpuskas/?saved=1

Plan-less adventure... Sometimes things just work out.

The Cyclocross World Championships in Hoogerheide, NL was the first road-trip for me and the Beamer.  With a can of Red Bull, 150 Euros, and 600km of driving; I hopped in the car Saturday afternoon with little else in terms of planning.

However, sometimes things just workout.  I arrived in Holland at a small town around 5km from Hoogerheide at 2200 hrs. and stopped at the first hotel I found.  Lucky for me, the Hotel Dekker had one room available.  Even better was that it was the hotel for the Belgian, French, Luxembourg, and Japanese Teams.  

Noticing some activity across the street, I accidentally stumbled upon "Carnivale" which is essentially a BIG PARTY for the Dutch who live "south of the river."  With dancing, drinking, and lots of people, it was great fun.  The Dutch I've met have consistently been amongst the friendliest people in the World.

With little sleep, I made my way to the race on Sunday... And promptly ran into friends from Oregon and teammates from around the U.S.  We caught up, cheered hard, ate (lots), and enjoyed some great racing on a cold day. 

No comments: