Thursday, June 19, 2008

Ouch!


Nothing frustrates an athlete quite like an injury.  Recently, I've made significant efforts to improve in the pool and to strengthen my upper body.  I've added paddles to my swimming, lifted weights, and begun doing pull-ups...

Apparently my rotator cuff has decided that it is unhappy with my training plan...My friend (who happens to be a Doctor) gave me the bad news today...No more lifting or pull-ups for at least 4 weeks.  I also need to "take it easy" if I attempt to swim.

With Lake Stevens 70.3 in 3 weeks, this is NOT what I wanted to hear.

I will give myself a few hours to vent/stress.  Then, it's onto focusing on the elements of my training that I can control.  In the Navy, we say "there are smart Divers and there are strong Divers...You can choose which you want to be."  It's not just about HTFU...It's about identifying a problem, adapting to the situation, and continuing to progress.  

No comments: